My name is Joel Klettke.
The short version? I’m..
- A conversion-focused copywriter and strategist who’s worked with clients like HubSpot, WP Engine, Safelite and Ion Interactive.
- A BComm holder who runs his company like a business – not a creative divahood. I love deadlines, strategy documents, and clear communication.
- A digital marketer with 5+ years of experience agency-side. I don’t just write: I help you figure out what content you actually need to reach, nurture and convert your audience.
Here’s the whole story:
At the age of 3, I penned my first-ever poem, an inquisitive epic titled “What Will You Do In Winter?”
What I lacked in grammatical correctness I made up in unbridled passion. It hung on my Mom’s fridge as a testament to my literary greatness. The seed was planted.
I desperately wanted to be hung on more fridges.
I grew up and earned a BComm from the Haskayne School of Business in Calgary.
To pay my way through University, I worked in an accounting department. It was a comedic goldmine.
At the end of University, I (thankfully) flew the coop on accounting and landed a job as the Lead SEO Specialist at Vovia Online Marketing, also serving as the agency’s resident copywriter.
There, I learned online marketing inside and out, leading campaigns for over 40 brands.
Along the way, I picked up insights into SEO, conversion rate optimization, user experience and online marketing that other copywriters simply don’t have.
I also discovered content strategy and began writing copy for websites and ads. I enjoyed the challenge of attracting an audience in a world with an awful lot of noise.
Starting in 2011, I began freelance copywriting on the side. I saw where the digital world was going and knew I had the chops to bring businesses a better option.
In 2013, I launched Business Casual Copywriting.
What was once a hobby became a business that paid for illustrious waterproof couches and my first car.
At first, I focused heavily on content marketing assets and website copy, working with over 50 clients in SaaS, B2B, digital marketing, and a relatively absurd range of niches.
Everything was going fine, until…
In 2015, I began focusing entirely on conversion copywriting—and not just the writing part.
I became fascinated with understanding how people make decisions—and how I could help companies influence those decisions. I started obsessing over understanding customer psychology, interpreting data, and testing hypotheses.
Thankfully for my clients, all that boring stuff has lead to them making a lot more money.
Today, I help clients improve their conversion rates by…
- Developing, executing and analyzing customer research programs
- Auditing existing copy and UX for conversion killers
- Writing and wireframing new landing pages and websites
- Building out full-funnel strategies, including ads, email nurturing campaigns and more
These days, I’m more of a conversion consultant than just a copywriter.
My career keeps changing and my skills keep sharpening, but one thing remains the same:
I still want to hang on your fridge.
Let’s get some great results together.
>Scope my process, see my portfolio or drop me a line!<