Copywriting Rates: So… whattaya charge?
Thanks for asking!
1. I quote for value, not for time
I quote an itemized, project-specific rate that shows you exactly what I’m going to deliver for you with no guesswork.
You’re paying me to deliver a tangible return (leads, sales, conversions) — NOT for the time I spent hunched over a keyboard to get you that outcome.
2. My minimum engagement rate is $3,500 (single project, or across a single month)
That’s not a package, just a benchmark to keep in mind.
Clients hire me because, if I do my job right, I multiply their investment and save them sanity in the process.
I’ll still quote you based on whatever you need — so if you’re not sure, ask.
3. There are some clients I don’t click with.
I get it — some writers will say anything to get you to hire them. I’m not going to sell you the moon and bring you swiss cheese.
I’m a terrible fit for clients who…
- Want something “cheap” (I prefer effective)
- Don’t stand to gain at least 200% ROI on a $4k investment (I can’t help you)
- Just “need it done quickly” (I’d rather do it well)
- Don’t believe in research (I won’t let you pay me to guess)
- Need someone for on-call odd jobs (My schedule doesn’t work that way, but I DO take on structured retainers)
I’m a great fit for clients who want someone…
- Experienced: clients like HubSpot, WP Engine and InsightSquared have trusted me to help them convert.
- Organized: I follow a process, so you know exactly what to expect.
- Efficient: I get things done right the first time, so you haggle less and go live faster.
- Accountable: I check in without being asked to, so you always know where we’re at.
- Proven: I know what it takes to get you more customers (which is why you’re really hiring me).
Some other stuff you’ll probably find useful:
1. A down deposit is required for every project.
Your deposit effectively holds your spot in my cue. Your spot is held when the funds hit my bank account. If you cancel within one week of kickoff, I’ll refund half of your deposit.
Deposits are either 50% upfront or on a milestone basis for larger projects.
2. It’s best to get on my calendar immediately.
I book up in advance, so 11th-hour turnaround times aren’t always possible. If you’re planning a project for the near future, you need to contact me right now.
3. I accept cheques/checks/Czechs, bank transfers, direct deposits and payments via Stripe (credit card).
I’ll happily take your money via cheque or, for those of us not living in the 90’s, Stripe (credit card payments). I loathe PayPal and will only accept it if all other options are exhausted (including carrier pigeon).
I also accept international electronic bank transfers and for the few (but proud!) Canadian clients I work with, I happily accept e-transfers.
4. My entire focus is on driving action.
Some writers don’t care if your copy works, as long as it sounds nice. I’m all about conversions, and my rate and process both reflect that.
My job is to help you make money and get more customers, not win you a Pulitzer.
I know digital marketing inside and out, so I know how to research your audience, identify opportunities, overcome objections and design entire sales funnels to put more money in your pocket. Copy is one critical part of that.
Whether we’re talking business goals or strategy, we’ll be on the same page.